Pages

Rhonda Pollero - Knock off

Publisher: Kensington 

ISBN: 978-0758215581

My rating: 3 / 5


If I could find a way to deep fry chocolate, my life would be whole.

Or at least that’s what I told myself as I parked my BMW in its regular spot in front of the law offices of Dane, Lieberman and Zarnowski. I often muse about food when I’m in a funk.
It was a beautiful, sunny, April morning, making it really hard for me to get excited about going to work. Okay, so I rarely got excited about going to work regardless of the weather. Then again, who does? I grabbed my adorable new Chanel bag, and with a quick, surreptitious glance, checked to be sure I was holding the pale pink bowling bag correctly. I was, and tugged it onto my shoulder.
It would be freaking embarrassing if my co-workers noticed the big black smear of God-only-knew-what on the lambskin leather. The smear would out me. I’d bought the damaged purse at the outlet in Vero Beach. I would take my secret vice to my grave.
No one would ever know that I, Finley Anderson Tanner, am a...discount shopper. And my other really huge fashion secret – I’m a tribute to slightly irregular. My wardrobe is a collection of the unloved cast-offs from the factory and/or the snagged and stained seconds discarded by the trendy stores, then sold at deep discounts. Thanks to the smudge, my new purse was marked down low enough to fit in my budget.
Well, that wasn’t exactly true. I didn’t have a budget so much as a propensity to carry just enough credit card debt to force me to acknowledge that I have little if any shopping self-restraint.
Well, not just shopping. My excesses seem to be limitless, guided only by my over-whelming desire to have it now. It can be anything. Anything I can pay for in installments, that is. My favorite word is pre-approved. I especially like it when it’s stamped across a solicitation for yet another credit card.
So, that’s how I morphed into a twenty-nine year old woman who doesn’t technically own anything. My apartment is rented, my car is leased and if we still had debtors prisons, I’d be serving life without parole. (http://www.rhondapollero.com/)


My thoughts
I liked the story! I really did. The idea is good. Finley is some paralegal and is given a job which should be straight forward ... yet, it turns out to be not and gets Finley in all sorts of trouble and awkward situations.

Yet, even though I wasn't able to put the book aside,  I have to admit I couldn't warm to the main character, Finley - yet I cannot pinpoint what actually was the problem. One thing I really DID dislike was the constant coffee consumption (was there a deal with Starbucks, or what?) and I reckon the book would have more credibility without continual eBay shopping sprees and the emphasis on Finley's wardrobe on every occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment