Pages

Rebekah L. Purdy - My Dad's a Paranormal Investigator

Publisher: Astraea Press

ISBN:  9781936852
My rating: 4/5


Sixteen year old Ima Berry (pronounced I’m a) leads anything but a normal life. For starters, the ridiculous name her eccentric dad gave her is always the opening for a good joke. Not to mention the fact he makes his living as a supernatural investigator, which has them moving around every few months. It’s hard to hang out with new friends when she spends all her time trying to prove the existence of Bigfoot, ghosts, fairies and any other number of paranormal creatures. Unfortunately, the cases always end in disaster. That is until now.

On a whim, Ima’s father decides to move them to Point Hope, Alaska. Here, he plans to investigate the possibility of shifters amongst the Inuit tribes. Ima isn't thrilled with the move, until she meets an Inuit guy named Carsen. Not only is he hot, but he’s also a star basketball player, and he’s interested in her. Too bad his best friend, Talon, doesn't like her and takes every opportunity he can to discourage the relationship. Ima has no idea what she’s done to make him mad, but there’s no denying the strange connection between them.
As things grow more serious with Carsen, Ima uncovers a secret about him and some of the residents of Point Hope. A secret that will force her to choose between her father’s already dwindling career and her new found love. And with the knowledge of this secret comes danger…a danger that could cost them their lives. (amazon.com)
 
 
My thoughts

Well, you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, right? Ok, I did! This book kept popping up on my FB site so one day I just bought it.


Once holding it in my hand ... O-M-G!!!  It's about Shape shifters and ...Eww ...  it's YA!

Luckily one day I hesitantly started reading it while waiting for my daughter at ASS. I suppose I don't have to tell you that within 48 hours I had the book read and loved it!

The story's about 16 yr old Ima Berrie, daughter of Paranormal Investigator Lou. With a father like that who also has his own show on TV, Ima's life is nothing but normal. After wrapping up another episode for Berrie SI they both move to Point Hope, somewhere in North West Alaska. This is where she meets and falls in love with Carson.

I really enjoyed the story. Purdy has told the story of Ima moving to Alaska with a very busy father, falling in love and the heartache that comes with it and the responsibilities of certain secrets in a diligent and believable way. The story flows and thus makes it a page turner and  the paranormal / shape shifting stuff is an essential part of the plot, but -lucky me!- not overdone. Purdy has a wonderful way of bringing the story to paper and I'm quietly hoping there will be many more books from her in the future!

A light reading for a winter’s day in front of open fire. I’m sure you’ll enjoy the moment as much as I did!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the review! I'm SO SO SO glad you enjoyed it. And I love your blog background...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Rebekah! Hopefully there'll be more Ima-Adventure soon :-)

    PS - Background is Ireland. Anything Irish and I'm hooked.

    ReplyDelete