Pages

Lee Child - One Shot (Reacher #9)

Publisher: Bantam Books

ISBN: 9780440423010

My rating: 4.5/5


Jack Reacher is working on his tan with a Norwegian blonde on the beach in Miami. The weather is hot and he is so cool you could skate on him. But he doesn’t like to stick around. He likes to be on the move. He was in the machine his whole life. Then the machine coughed and spat him out. Now he takes it easy. He’s not looking for trouble. But sometimes trouble looks for Reacher.
A lone gunman hides in a parking garage and shoots into a crowd in a public plaza in a small Indiana city. Five random people die in a senseless massacre. The shooter leaves a perfect trail behind him and the police quickly track him down. His name is James Barr. It’s a watertight case. After his arrest, James Barr refuses to talk. Then, to his lawyer, he utters a single phrase: “Get Jack Reacher for me.” But Reacher’s already on his way. What could connect this obvious psychopath with our wandering ex-army cop?
By the time Reacher hits town, Barr’s been beaten badly enough to forget everything about the day in question. So Reacher begins to piece together the wealth of evidence; he does the math and comes to a few conclusions of his own. (LeeChild.com)


My thoughts

What can I say .... I admit, I saw the movie on the flight back to Australia. I succumbed. *sigh*

So #9 was on top of my TBR list when I got home and I hesitated not wanting to read it, because the previous story had been confusing and I didn't like the movie at all.

Thank goodness I like routine; I picked up the book on the top and started reading. I struggled through the first few pages, because I couldn't get rid of the image of Tom Cruise's face in my head. Frustrating! But then, it was page after page after page ... and quite a few early mornings.

The story starts when a sniper shoots five random people. With forensic evidence so obvious, it's within a very short time that police arrest James Barr. He's silent only requesting for them to get Jack Reacher.

It's a great book, it's interesting, fast paced and very intricate with all the characters, yet easy to follow. The plot is slightly far fetched, but hey, it's a fiction book! All characters clear and well developed.

Okay - here my two cents about the movie. Having worked in the film industry (though only for a brief period of time) I am aware that a script needs to be cut down, but this one was cut way too much - in the end nothing, or little, made sense. I've heard Tom Cruise took on the role because it was his company producing the movie. Shame on him to be selfish and ruining the movie and any further movies. This movie deserved better! *rant off*

No comments:

Post a Comment