Pages

May I introduce: M Kircher "Dream On"

Dream On
by M. Kircher
 
How could I not invited M. Kircher on my blog when her book is all about dreams. I love the blurb and I will definitely read the book. It's so right up my alley.
 

1 - Dreams are important to me and the idea to explore dreams while asleep sounds wonderful. How did you come up with the story line?
That's a great question, Iris! Dreams are actually a huge part of the books I've written so far and will be in the ones I write in the future. I'm a vivid dreamer and have been ever since I was a child. I can remember many of my dreams, and while I was in college I began writing some of them down. Believe it or not, but some of my dreams have actually come true. I've had dreams about old friends being in trouble, called them and found out that what I had dreamed about them had actually happened in real life. I once dreamed about a job opportunity for my husband falling apart and the very next week it did. Creeee-py!

But most of my dreams don't make much that much sense. Many of them are frightening and many are beautiful, so beautiful that I don't want to wake up. The idea for Dream On came about one day as I was sifting through my dream journal. For some reason I thought about the legend of Rip Van Winkle, the lazy man that fell asleep for twenty years and escaped the hardships of the American Revolution. Out of that pondering came the idea for a futuristic gene mutation that allowed the female line of one family to hibernate and wander around in their dreams, escaping the harsh realities of life if they chose to. I used threads of old dreams as the basis for some of Emily and Lily's dreams in the book, and some were purely fun fabrication. What's really special about this novel was that I got to explore a side of myself that I don't really talk about that much, but that is important to me. I can't tell you how many story ideas I have lying around because of things I've dreamed! 

 
2 - You say "I believe that stories can change the world". When did you start writing and what triggered it?
I think there's always been a writer's soul floating around inside me, but for most of my life until now, I've simply been a fanatical bookworm. To say that I love stories is an understatement. My parents used to bribe me to have friends over, but I'd turn them down. "I just want to go to my room and read," I'd tell them. That love of fiction has stayed with me into adulthood. And I enjoy a well-crafted movie just as much as a good book. There is something about an expertly woven tale, whether in word or visual form that speaks to me. 

Can't you feel that humming, tingling sensation when you read or watch a story that really moves you? 

For a long time I was a painter and I tried to tell stories with paint. But I just couldn't find my voice. I couldn't find a "genre" if you will. Then one day a friend of mine and I were discussing our latest book obsessions and she looked at me and said, "Melissa, you have to write a book. You just have to." And for some reason I decided to take her advice. I went home and did something I never thought I could, I wrote my first book, The War Inside—a YA paranormal dystopian novel about hope and the world getting a second chance.

And a wonderful thing happened; I found my voice. I painted with words and my soul found its "genre". I read YA like a fiend and writing it felt like coming home. I don't know if I'll ever stop writing stories now that I've discovered how much I love doing it!

 
3 - Tell us about your current project. Can we expect more dreams?
You can definitely expect dreams to be a part of future books! I'm working on two novels right now. The first is the sequel to The War Inside called The Gray Horizon, and that book comes out in August 2014. I'm also working on a YA anti-superhero novel. That one is in the drafting stages and I'll be shopping it around sometime this fall.

 
 
Blurb:
Seventeen-year-old dreamwalker, Em, might have to choose—leave her mother forever in the dreamworld or save the life of hot, rebel Gabe.
Emily Dal Monte and her mother, Lily, are special. They’re humans with a glitch in their genetic code that allows them to explore the fantastic, and often terrifying, world of their dreams for as long as they choose to remain asleep. But when Em’s father is killed in a tragic accident and her distraught mother loses herself more and more in the dreams of her crumbling mind, Em is forced to support the two of them the only way she knows how, by writing down her mother’s amazing dreams and selling them as books. Enter Gabriel Sobel, the punk newcomer at Em’s high school who realizes Em is the daughter of his favorite, reclusive author. Gabe can’t figure out why Em keeps brushing him off and makes it his mission to find out what’s really going on at the Dal Monte household. He stumbles upon their shocking family secret just as Lily takes a turn for the worse. It’s up to Em, Gabe, and one very nosy book editor to hop from one extraordinary dream to the next, to find Lily and convince her to wake up before she loses her mind…and before Em loses her first chance at love.
 
 
 
Author:
M. KIRCHER graduated with a B.A. in Fine Arts from Gordon College. She devours YA, science fiction, fantasy, and romance on a regular basis and is immensely happy to pour her time and energy into creating stories for other people to enjoy. Bob Ross and J.R.R. Tolkien tie for her two favorite people of all time.
M. Kircher lives in Connecticut with her husband, energetic son, and new baby girl.
 
Website: http://mkircher.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mkircher83
Twitter: https://twitter.com/MKircher83
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7202354.M_Kircher
Amazon Author Profile: http://www.amazon.com/M.-Kircher/e/B00E8AKEGI
Wattapad: http://www.wattpad.com/user/MelissaKircher
 
 
Purchase Links:
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Dream-On-M-Kircher-ebook/dp/B00JUA2ICY
Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dream-on-m-kircher/1119280434
 
Excerpt:
 
 Tiny shafts of sunlight stream down from the treetops above us, forming small rings that illuminate the red pine-covered ground below. It’s weird how quiet it is here. There are none of the sounds you’d normally associate with a forest, like the scurrying tread of small animals or the soft breeze rustling through the trees. Everything is completely still.
I rest my forehead against the warm bark of the tree and try to calm my racing thoughts. How do I get us out of this mess? Mom and Evan aren’t here with Gabe and me. At least, as far as I can tell, they aren’t here, and we don’t have any time to find them. Evan and Gabe need to wake up now, or they could die. It’s so simple, yet so complicated. Do I save Gabe’s life? Or do I continue to risk killing him and try to save everyone? If I pull Gabe out, I could risk losing both Mom and Evan inside this dream. I have no idea if Mom’s recognition of me was a moment’s clarity, or something more lasting. I might never be able to locate her and Evan again.
A sob rises in my throat. I can’t help it. I’m so tired and overwhelmed, and we’re all so deeply in trouble. Despite my best efforts, the sob escapes, and then I can’t seem to stop another one from bursting out of my mouth. And then another one. Huge, wrenching cries tear through me, and I double over, my face in my hands, as the tears stream through my fingertips.
It’s all just too much.
I hear Gabe come to stand beside me, and before I can protest, he draws me back into his arms. I can’t seem to stop crying. I’m so embarrassed, but I just can’t stop.
His rough fingers catch the bottom of my chin, and slowly he tilts my face up toward his, so we’re gazing into each other’s eyes. My breath hitches, and it’s not just from all the crying.
“I’m sorry, Em,” Gabe whispers, his soft words loud in the silence surrounding us. “But there’s no one I’d rather be with right now than you.”
 
 
 
 


 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having me today to chat! -M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. Hope to have you back one day again, to talk more about dreams :-)

      Delete