Pages

May I introduce: Maggie Christensen "The Sand Dollar" ( @MaggieChriste33 )

The Sand Dollar
by Maggie Christensen
 

What a delight to have Maggie back to talk about her next book!


1 - The Sand Dollar is the first book in the Oregon Coast Series. I fell in love with Oregon when we travelled there two years ago. What's your fascination with the US State?

My mother-in-law moved from California to Florence, Oregon in her mid-eighties. Sadly she passed away last year a few months after celebrating her 100th birthday. Over the years we visited her many times and I fell in love with Florence and the Oregon Coast, leading me to set this series there.

2 - The Dreamcatcher is the second book in the series. When can we expect the release of that book?

The Dreamcatcher tells the story of Ellen, who the reader meets in The Sand Dollar. She’s a Native American who owns a bookshop in Florence. The book is currently with my editor and will be released in mid-May.


3 - What are you currently working on?

I’m working on a sequel to Band of Gold. I hadn’t intended to write a sequel to this one, but have been asked by many readers if there will be another. In Band of Gold, readers met Jan, Anna’s sister. This is her story.
 

Blurb
What if you discover everything you believed to be true about yourself has been a lie?
Stunned by news of an impending redundancy, and impelled by the magic of a long-forgotten sand dollar, Jenny retreats to her godmother in Oregon to consider her future. 
 
What she doesn’t bargain for is to uncover the secret of her adoption at birth and her Native American heritage. This revelation sees her embark on a journey of self-discovery such as she’d never envisaged.
Moving between Australia’s Sunshine Coast and the Oregon Coast, The Sand Dollar is a story of new beginnings, of a woman whose life is suddenly turned upside down, and the reclusive man who helps her solve the puzzle of her past.
 
 
Bio
Born and brought up in Scotland, and attracted by advertisements to ‘Come and Teach in the Sun’, Maggie Christensen emigrated to Australia in her twenties to teach in primary schools in Sydney. She now lives with her husband of almost thirty years near Peregian Beach on the Sunshine Coast of Queensland. She loves walking on the deserted beach in the early mornings and having coffee by the Noosa River on weekends. After spending many years in teaching, lecturing and education management, where she wrote course materials and reports, Maggie began writing the sort of books she enjoys reading, books about women in their prime, their issues and relationships. Now her days are spent surrounded by books, either reading or writing them – her idea of heaven! She continues her love of books as a volunteer with Friends of Noosaville Library where she helps organise author talks and selects and delivers books to the housebound.
 
 
Author links
Web:                 http://maggiechristensenauthor.com/
Twitter:           @MaggieChriste33
 
Buy links
Amazon UK    http://amzn.to/1nG99g6
Amazon AU  bit.ly/1zuukqF
 
Excerpt
 Jenny shook her head, blinking madly to stop the tears which threatened. Mike stretched out his hand towards her shoulder as if to offer comfort, then let it drop away. Jenny hugged her arms to her body to ward off any physical contact.
“We definitely need that drink now.” He put the letter down on the coffee table and went to the drinks trolley where he poured two large measures. “Get that down you,” he said, handing one to Jenny.
“What is it?” she asked, sniffing the glass.
“Jack Daniels. The answer to the shock you’ve sustained. It’ll burn going down, but it’ll help.”
Jenny took a sip.
“Don’t sip it. Take a gulp. Put some fire in your belly.”
Giving him a glare, Jenny emptied the glass, almost choking. “There, are you happy now?”
“When did you last have something to eat? You should have something now or that’ll go straight to your head.”
“I don’t need being told what to do.” Jenny’s tone was abrupt. “Look,” she said more gently, pushing her hands through her hair. “I’m grateful to you and all that. I needed someone to talk to, to share this with, but…”
“But now it’s me, you’re thinking better of it?”
“No, not at all. Actually I’m glad it’s you. You won’t…”
“Won’t what?” Mike raised his eyebrows.
“Won’t make a big thing of it, I guess is what I mean. But I’d rather be alone now, if you don’t mind. I will have something to eat,” she added, seeing he was about to say something else.
“That wasn’t what I was going to say. I wondered…” he paused. “I wondered what you were going to do about this. I mean, it’s a bit of a bummer being thrown this one. How do you intend to deal with it?”
“I really don’t know. The whole thing’s come from left field. It’s… it’s not anything I expected. Mum and Dad…” Jenny dragged her fingers through her hair again and started to walk with Mike to the door. “You’ve been great. I know I have to handle it. I guess I should bring it up with Maddy, but I can’t do that right now. When she’s better. I’ll need some answers.”
“I sure would if I were you. Okay. I’ll be off. Umm, if… or… I’m just a bit up the track if you want an ear.” Mike sounded awkward.
Jenny’s eyes opened wide in surprise. An offer like this was the last thing she’d expected from this reticent man. “Thanks, I’ll remember that.” Her voice shook a little as she said goodbye and closed the door behind him.
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me visit, Iris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleasure to have you here again, Maggie! And I love the sound of the book.

      Delete